About Be Well

Welcome to Be Well with Wels.

Be Well is an expression of who I am and is inspired by my individual journey. I am fortunate to have found my passion early in life and my personality has allowed me to pursue it. I am very much a counselor at heart and thrive helping others overcome life's hurdles. The formation of my coaching philosophy models my belief in the connection of the mind-body-spirit as an individualized yet integrated route to achieving inner balance and optimal wellbeing. Be Well is a fusion of my personal experience, information, tools, resources, and motivations that have inspired me. In turn, I hope to inspire and support you so that you may integrate my footprints into your own journey.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013


Following the words from my own post on September 30th, I decided to make my own personal commitment. I challenged myself to practice yoga for 30 consecutive days. I’m pleased to follow up letting you know I practiced 27 of the 30 days. (I’m even more pleased to let you know I successfully practiced daily while on vacation.) Initially I was apprehensive doing this challenge on my own verses with a studio or with a class, yet I found my own system which worked out great for me. All of my practices were done solo, outside of a studio and at no cost!  I was even fortunate enough to take my practice to the beach for a day and into the sunrise on another.

Yoga isn’t new to me and luckily I’ve experienced a number of yoga styles and different studios, so during my first few days I was able to draw from these experiences; I gathered my yoga resources and created my own practice. I utilized information from previous classes, The Women’sHealth Big Book of Yoga, Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown, Pocket Yoga App, Yoga Studio App, and even a few On Demand Classes. My best practices came from following my own system and at times forgoing a previously planned routine. Most days I just listening to my body and went where my breath and my flow took me. 

     

I’m a firm believer that ALL things can provide us with a lesson if we look! So what did my practice teach me??? Well, aside from the well known benefits such as increased flexibility and strength, and improved focus, I learned a lot of other unexpected things! Here are the top lessons my challenge taught me:

*    I’m a much more productive morning person than evening person. If I didn’t practice first thing in the morning, it was hard for me to “find time” and easy to “find excuses” My most successful practices came within an hour of waking up

*    I can be flexible: Even though I prefer morning practice, I stumbled upon a great PM yoga routine that helped me relax and unwind before going to sleep

*    Seemingly small successes are indeed a success and should be celebrated as one. Half moon has always been a challenging balance pose for me, however day after day, I found myself smiling as I found myself opening up the slightest bit further than the previous day

*    Commitment and Accountability: I’m stubborn so a personal challenge is a great way to hold myself accountable and follow my commitment. When I set my mind to something, you better believe I’m all in

*    Increased metabolism: I’ve never been so hungry by 10am

*    Tomorrow is always a new day: So I missed 3 days, did I fail at my challenge?  Not at all! In fact I succeeded because after each of my missed 3 days, I didn’t dwell on it, I woke up the next day and picked up right where I left off on the path of my goal!




So what’s the take home: Challenge yourself even if it initially seems lofty! Remember “Only those who risk going to far can find out how far they can go”!



Until Next Time ~ Be Well

No comments:

Post a Comment