About Be Well

Welcome to Be Well with Wels.

Be Well is an expression of who I am and is inspired by my individual journey. I am fortunate to have found my passion early in life and my personality has allowed me to pursue it. I am very much a counselor at heart and thrive helping others overcome life's hurdles. The formation of my coaching philosophy models my belief in the connection of the mind-body-spirit as an individualized yet integrated route to achieving inner balance and optimal wellbeing. Be Well is a fusion of my personal experience, information, tools, resources, and motivations that have inspired me. In turn, I hope to inspire and support you so that you may integrate my footprints into your own journey.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Mindful Mondays

I recently read a new book "Sitting Still Like a Frog" by Eline Snel who aims to teach children mindfulness skills while providing useful tools to help them better manage anxiety and regulate emotions. I was struck by her thorough yet relatable definition and explanation of what mindfulness is and isn't. I've read a number of books, articles, and other publications on mindfulness yet think this is the most efficient explanation I've come across. So Thank You to Eline Snel, Author of "Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids and Their Parents" Please enjoy part of her introduction below:

Mindfulness is nothing other than present moment awareness, an open and friendly willingness to understand what is going on in and around you. It means living in the present moment (which is not the same as thinking about the present moment) without judging or ignoring anything or getting carried away by the pressures of everyday life.

When you are present while waking up, while grocery shopping, with your children’s sweet smiles, and with every major and minor conflict, your mind is not elsewhere but right here. You save energy, as you are aware of what is happening while it is happening. This mindful, friendly presence changes your behavior as well as your attitude toward yourself and your children.

Mindfulness is feeling the sun on you skin, feeling the salty tears rolling down your cheeks, feeling a ripple of frustration in our body. Mindfulness is experiencing both joy and misery as and when they occur, without having to do something about it or having an immediate reaction or opinion. Mindfulness is directing your friendly awareness to the here and now, at every moment. But mindfulness practice involves some effort and intentionality.
“Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids and Their Parents”
Introduction to Mindfulness – Pages 2-3

Eline Snel

Until Next Time ~ Be Well

No comments:

Post a Comment