Is there a difference between Acting and Reacting?
When was the last time you did both? It’s easy to React. Many of us may have even Reacted during our morning commute? Did
another car pull out in front of you, forget to use their turn signal, drive too slow or
too fast? Did you React? By Reacting, I'm not referring to an auto-pilot physical response such as breaking; I’m talking about our emotional responses such as yelling,
that look of death, a stare down as we pass the other car, certain hand gestures, etc. Did you then look to your passenger as an innocent bystander of someone
else’s incapable driving? Did you say ”what, I only yelled because they did ______________.” If you did any version of the above, YOU REACTED!!! (I am notoriously guilty of this one, I struggle with mild road rage, but I'm happy to report I've come a long way in managing my driving REACTIONS since moving out of Pittsburgh.)
Essentially Reacting is giving control of ourselves to someone or something else.
We almost never look at it this way but in reality Reacting is exactly that, we
are saying if they didn’t do _____________, we wouldn’t have done
_______________. Whether or not reacting
gets you into trouble, it can almost definitely lead you into a
foot-in-the-mouth situation. Reactions
are those knee-jerk behaviors, smart comebacks, snide comments, and
hostile words. They are often dominated
by anger, frustration, and other negative feelings. Our ego and pride get the
best of us and we React. Emotional
Reactions are evidence of our internal belief system that developed as a
result of our past experiences. Like all other behavior, emotional reactions
served a helpful function at one point, but as an adult, they can keep us stagnate
and unable to move forward.
Since our overall life satisfaction can be determined by our
ability to regulate our emotions especially in difficult or unpleasant situations,
its important for us to understand the difference between Acting and
Reacting. Acting is a way for us to take control back. Acting allows us to respond in
an appropriate and beneficial way. It is a
What have been your experiences Reacting vs. Acting? Is there one area you React to most? Try considering how this reflects your belief system.
Until Next Time ~ Be Well


I found myself REACTING just this weekend, and your comments are so right -- once I sat back and thought about it and actually got out of my own way, it was nothing absolutely nothing that needed the REACTION I gave it. Most of us live in a reactive mode -- it is the way we get through life, doesn't make it right -- just harder to fix -- insight like yours helps keep us on track (me on track!)
ReplyDelete